Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2020

A Tale of Two Roasts


Cooking can seem like such a chore. Sunday roasts seem like some mythical thing that happens on television. I mean Netflix. Er, YouTube! My point is that is seems old fashioned and takes up a lot of time when no one eats like that anymore. We are all keto or low carb or whatever seems like a good idea this week.

Who boils potatoes and carrots and puts a whole roast on the table? Well, maybe we should think of roasts a slightly different way. For instance, this week I had a huge pork loin that somehow was magically on sale. It would be easy to cut it into pork loin chops and barbeque them. However, I have been making a conscious effort to try some older recipes and approaches to cooking.

I want to revisit some of these ideas and see if they are worth making or modernizing. What I did was cut the huge piece into two. One went into a slow cooker for hours with some onions, barbeque sauce, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, homemade hot sauce and cumin. When it is finished cooking, it can be used for pulled pork, base for chili or spaghetti sauce, an addition to salad... and it took little less than fifteen minutes to prepare. One roast that will feed me and my kids all week.

I will probably freeze most of it as I think I will eat the other portion. I sliced leeks to act as a raft so the meat wouldn't stick. I coated the roast with mustard, brown sugar, cloves and allspice. Put it in the oven at 350F for about two hours or until it is cooked.

This was one of my Dad's favourite way to eat pork. It is especially good when you use a shoulder roast and stud the meat with clove nails. The minty and spicy cloves flavour the fat and leave a tingle in your mouth.

Now, I have let it cool because my favourite way of eating this is cold on a sandwich. Yeah, you could do up some potatoes and carrots if you wanted a sit down meal but this is just as good with a green salad.

A roast is a meal that gives a few times. If you eat it will all the fixings, then it can make a fine family supper for Sunday. The leftover meat can be used for sandwiches, soup, a base for a meat sauce, or an addition to a baked omelet.

My verdict is that Sunday roasts should make it make to your table, even if you are doing one of those low carb diets, there is value.

No comments:

Post a Comment